When planning to launch Le Sutra Great Escapes, we recced several locations. The brief from our chief
was simple- the location had to be drop dead gorgeous!
We found our gem in Lonavala. Nestled in the rolling hills of the Western Ghats, Lonavala is aptly titled
‘The Jewel of the Sahyadris’. The fact that getting to Lonavala from both Mumbai (96 kms) and Pune (64 kms) is a breeze, certainly helped our case.
Right from the time of setting off, the smooth drive to Lonavala on the Mumbai-Pune expressway sets the tone for switching off from the frenzied pace of city life. The tranquility of the rolling hills and breathtaking valleys makes for the perfect setting for our guests to rest the body, revive the mind and restore the spirit.
Time seems to automatically slow down in the charming hill station. The stunning vistas, the gushing waterfalls, the pristine lakes and the chirping birds are the nature-lover’s dream come true. For those who are hooked on to their Social Media handles, Lonavala provides the ideal setting to create some Insta-worthy content from craggy cliffs to grand forts and gushing waterfalls found literally in every nook and cranny of the hill-town.
For the romantic at heart, Lonavala in the monsoon (June to September) is simply magical. Nothing can beat the feeling of splashing and dancing in the rain, getting gently sprayed by a waterfall, listening to gurgling of a brook and getting enveloped by the mist with your bae!
For those seeking a slice of history, Lonavala comes with its fair share of ancient Buddhist caves, lineage of the Yadava dynasty, majestic forts of the Mughals and Peshwas and colonial style bungalows.
Outdoorsy folks can choose to go camping and trekking, especially a night fireflies trek. Those seeking an adrenaline rush can opt for organized adventure sports like waterfall rappelling, hot air ballooning and paragliding near Lonavala.
For family fun or corporate bonding, Lonavala is home to the largest extreme adventure park in the country.
Finally, for those who simply wish to revisit the sugar rush of their childhood, Lonavala is famous for its old-world handmade chikki and fudge to gorge on!
Location: Maharashtra, India
Altitude: 624 m
Languages: Marathi, Hindi
Best Time to Visit:
- October -February for a Whiff of Winter
- June- September for some Monsoon Madness
- By Air: Nearest Airport: Pune – Pune Airport (69 Kms)
- By Train: Lonavala Railway Station (0 Kms)
- By Road: Via Mumbai-Pune Express way
Places to See & Things to Do
- View Points: Duke’s Nose, Lion Point, Tikona Fort, Visapur Fort, Rajmachi Point and Tiger’s Leap
- Water Falls: Kune, Bhivpuri, Bhagirath and Jummapatti
- Lakes: Pawna and Lonavala
- Caves: Karla, Bhaja and Bedse
- Forts: Lohagad, Rajmachi, Visapur, Tikona, Tung and Kodigad
- Trekking: Tikona Fort, Rajmachi Fort, Tamhini Ghat, Lohagad Fort, Duke’s Nose and Bhimashankar
- Camping: Pawna Lake, Lohagad, Shirota Lake, Koarigad, Karnala, Vasinidi, Bushi Dam, Ryewood Lake, and Tikona Fort, Rajmachi Fort
- Sports: Extreme Adventure sports, Hot Air Ballooning, Paragliding and Waterfall Rappelling